Ho! Ho! Ho! Christmas day is a few hours away! Everyone’s already in a holiday rush and festivities are overflowing. As Christmas carols are blaring in full volume at every home, allow me to share with you my unique kind of way of preparing for the Holiday – climbing up Mt. Ulap!
So while most are busy buying gifts, and checking their list twice; finding out who has been naughty or nice, here are a few Christmas songs you could relate to while up and sweating in Mt. Ulap.
Oh! You better watch out, you better not cry
Better not pout, I’m telling you why
Santa Claus is comin’ to town
– Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town by Bruce Springsteen
Pine trees, endless mountains, sea of clouds and cold breeze – with such great view who wouldn’t imagine Santa Claus and his reindeers appearing and running around in their carriage. You wish he was upfront handing over your most precious gift; and then you realize such gift is right in front of you – the beauty of nature – serene, pure and true. Oh, you better watch out for more views, better not cry with the 9km high, you will surely not pout, I’m telling you why, Mt. Ulap is a piece of haven up in the sky.
Come, they told me
Pa rum pum pum pum
Our newborn King to see
Pa rum pum pum pum
– Little Drummer Boy by PentatonixYour heart beat is definitely in a Ra pum pum pum whilst hiking the 1846 mASL Mt. Ulap eco trail, but simultaneous to the drum roll like beating heart is the thunderous feeling of how lucky you are to have been given the ability, time and chance to climb up such beauty. “Dagdag Kilometro, Bawas Kilo” was our motivational quote the whole time our bodies felt weak climbing up. More than the picturesque view, your self-fulfillment after finishing the climb will get your heart pumped up.
On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me.
A partridge in a pear tree.
– The Twelve Days of Christmas by Straight no Chaser
1 Mountain – Mt. Ulap
2 places: Ampucao and Sta. Fe Ridge – Traverse climb
3 Peaks: Ambanaw, Gungal and Mt. Ulap
4 guides (sorry no groupie with them. Hehe)
5 hours trip to Itogon Benguet
6 – 8 hours climb – depends on your phasing
9 Kilometers long
10 adventure-seekers – insert Momma Wilma!
11pm departure from Manila
12am arrival the next day
After the hike, you could have listed twelve reasons (or more!) why your true love might just be hiking mountains, and no excuse not to try it again. 🙂
Kaya’t ibigay n’yo na
Ang aming Christmas bonus
Pati na ang 13th month pay
Para lahat okey na okey
– Christmas Bonus by AegisOh yes! Mt. Ulap is an adventure and it isn’t free. While you are on trek, you go on and on and on rambling and planning on where to go next after the magnificent view inspired you to explore more of God’s creation and then the thought comes in: It’s December, have you received your bonus yet? Haha.
Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh, hey
– Jingle bellsAh! Who would have forgotten about this? I had a different version though:
Single bells, single bells, single all the way. Oh how fun is it to climb, and find love all the way, hey!
Ho! Ho! Ho! Hiking has been associated with moving on. Maybe because it gives you the liberty to do something you don’t need someone to get you carry on. Or maybe, it could be the thought that you might just meet someone to make you move on. Either or, I say hiking opens the door for you to meet new people you might actually be friends with. Also, traversing Mt. Ulap plus the December weather could make you “jingle” all the way.
I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus
Underneath the mistletoe last night
– I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus by The JacksonWith the wide variation and perfect location of pine trees, you might just want to sing and re-enact that song with your love. The views in Mt. Ulap could be your local version of the Queenstown, NZ wedding of Anne and Erwan. Well sans the kissing, everywhere is so Instagrammable!
Pasko na naman ngunit wala ka pa
Hanggang kailan kaya ako maghihintay sayo
– Sana Ngayong Pasko by Ariel RiveraSometimes the most beautiful view could give you the most painful nostalgia. Whilst creating memories is your main goal for hiking Mt. Ulap, reminiscing the old ones could also pop up whether intentionally or not. With the Christmas season coming in, the climb could just heighten your “hugot” feel to could have or should have spent this season with someone special. Muling makita ka at makasama ka sa araw ng Pasko…
Ang nagsindi nitong ilaw, walang iba kundi ikaw.
Salamat sa liwanag mo, muling magkakakulay ang Pasko.
– Bro, Ikaw ang Star ng Pasko, ABS CBN 2009 Christmas songFor joiners, although you started the climb as strangers, the highs of the fantastic experience and the lows of having slipped a couple of times would have turned you into friends. Climbing with a good company is always a great idea as this adventure is all about experiencing God’s masterpiece – His environment and His people.
As for longtime friends, hiking opens you up to new discoveries. Like how your once awkward friend suddenly turned Ms. Congeniality as she has been set free and in her element. Or your first timer friend who was full of hesitation at the beginning but finished the climb strong and kicking.
Ho! Ho! Ho! Joy to the world, the hike is done, it’s time we rejoice for the birth of the Son.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for the love! Merry Christmas!!!
WRITE A RESPONSE ARTICLE
Response article enables VoicePoints readers to respond to the article published by the author by completing the form below. Under ‘Message’ box, please ensure to include the title of the main article you are responding.
About the Author
- Cha is an Accountant at a shared service center of a global enterprise with core competencies in Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. She authored some articles of VoicePoints back in 2015 and also led the Citizen Journalism arm of VoicePoints that same year. Now, Cha joins the new organization and brand of VoicePoints as she take on the same role she held before. She loves to travel but is admittedly lost geographically. She doesn’t back down on any adventure driven activity and is currently into the KDrama world until her Oppa comes along.